Saturday, December 4, 2010

Different Editions: Books?

I'm going to start marking posts that have to do with realizations about the difference between Michael' generation and my own.

They'll be entitled "Different Editions" which is a book joke and a gamer joke at the same time.

The first just struck me the other day.

It's not like Michael will grow up in a world without books; even trimming the fat of my book collection I have managed to more than fill an extra giant book shelf since our last move. I love books, and I hope that Michael will as well.

But it is almost a certainty that, at one point, Michael's going to have some form of device with which he can access a collection of e-books. Whether it's a dedicated e-reader like the Amazon Kindle, or a multi-purpose tablet device like the iPad, it's a technology that seems to be growing and even if it's not ubiquitous by the time he's building his own book collection... well I am a geek dad.

Think about that. Someone growing up with a portable electronic library of their favorite books, perhaps even those of parents and friends to some extent, always on-hand. Heck, it's a book store, too! Comic books are starting to be delivered and purchased this way, as well.

Good Lord, and my parents thought that I was bad about never putting the books away.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment